Wednesday 29 May 2013

The Learning Curve

     This past Friday I had the opportunity to fish with a friend who, over the last three seasons, has started getting more into fly fishing . I enjoy getting on the water with people just starting out as every fish seems to have a little more meaning. As much as I enjoy success and catching trout I am finding greater enjoyment teaching people in becoming more proficient fly-fisherman. This isn't to say that I myself am an expert. In fact, one thing I have learned over the years is that just when you think you have a good handle on things someone comes along and shows you that you have a long way to go to becoming Zen like in the art of fly-fishing. Still, I figure the least I can do is maybe give someone a different way of looking at things.  My hope for the day was to show Keith how to fish chironomids and micro leeches below an indicator.

     It is amazing how much a guy can take for granted after doing something for years. We arrived at the lake just before eight AM and quickly started rigging up. I went over a typical setup starting with the leader, strike indicator, barrel swivel. Keith was quick to ask about the barrel swivel. I explained that when using a mono leader and fluorocarbon tippet you run the risk of having the harder fluorocarbon cutting the softer mono filament at the knot. By using a small barrel swivel you eliminate this problem as well you ad a little weight to the leader to get your flies down. We each rigged up with a micro leach as the top fly and differing colored chironomids on point. I also showed him how to tie the non-slip loop knot and explained its importance in giving life to our flies.

Keith with one of many trout caught under the "bobber"
We made our way out and were soon double anchored in ten feet of water. Although we had some smaller fish showing interest I knew there were better fish to be had. We quickly moved to a sheltered side of a small point in twelve feet of water and reset our anchors. With the wind howling the last thing I wanted was to have a new comer discouraged from untangling rats nests that can come with casting an indicator and double fly setup. We were back into fish again and were now landing 12-14" fish (not huge I know but definitely confidence boosters for Keith). I did manage to land a healthy 17" fish and after a quick throat sample sent it on its way. Nothing of course in the throat sample...




       We continued fishing throughout the day and although I did manage to land another 16" fish we never did touch anything bigger than the 12-14" average. The action was fast and furious however and as much as I am sure it helped Keith get a feel for fishing in this manner I definitely managed to work off the winter rust.

     Towards the end of the day the wind died enough to move to the downwind side of the lake. I noticed several good boils in the shallows so we opted to move into five feet of water adjacent to a weed bed. We reset our indicators so our point fly was a foot off the bottom and cast out. Keith landed another smaller fish and it looked like we would be ending our day on that note.
He cast out again and let his indicator settle. No more than 30 seconds later his indicator dunked under and he set the hook. The fish immediately shot out of the water and I was surprised to see it was a healthy 4-5 lb rainbow. It dove into the weeds and as quickly as it started it was over. I was quick to point out that with fishing indicators you never know how big the fish will be when the "bobber" slips under. I was also quick to point out that it was probably the biggest fish of the day and that he would never hook another one like it (I enjoy pouring salt on fresh wounds).


     As Keith was re-rigging I noticed what looked like a good boil near a tree sticking up out of the water. I picked up my line and fired my flies right smack in the middle of the rings. The indicator immediately shot under the water and I raised my rod tip. After a somewhat lengthy battle I netted a dark 19" male. Although not the biggest trout I have ever landed it definitely felt good, especially after the long crappy winter we have had. We decided to call it a day and headed in.


A good way to end the day.

     I encourage any of you out there to try and introduce someone to fly-fishing. Whether young or old there is a lifetime of enjoyment waiting to be had by both the teacher and the student. Sure, sometimes it can be frustrating, but the rewards almost always outweigh the shortfalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment