Tuesday 18 June 2013

A time for Change


     This weekend I spent a couple of days on a local "run of the mill" put-and-take Alberta stocked trout lake (Little Bear Lake). Fishing was, in my opinion, very good considering the lake has been stocked with 25,000-28,000 trout for as long as the SRD stocking reports tell me. My fishing partner and I landed several trout in the 5-6 lb range. Some were freshly released brood stock from the local fish hatchery and some that had overwintered the last couple of years (very noticeable difference in fighting quality). The catch rate was high and we never went more than five minutes before one of our strike indicators dipped below the surface. All and all I was satisfied with my experience on the water.


Justin Mecklar with a "brooder"

        Part of me has to wonder how much this lake could benefit from a little regulation and some help from an aeration system. What would some of those trout be like in say their third and fourth seasons? Most of the anglers that were fishing on the lake had no idea what the limit was and or if there were size restrictions. In my opinion SRD's move to implement quality trout lakes throughout Alberta is a good one that all anglers can benefit from. Of the 300 stocked lakes in Alberta only a handful are managed as quality lakes with reduced limits and seasonal closures. The current census is that a majority of anglers would rather catch a few larger trout rather than lots of little ones. I am sure it will be a slow one but my hopes are that through the bureaucratic process this lake will be given the opportunity to meet its full potential.

My "wet sock"
To be honest though I haven't given this lake much thought until this season. The idea that it is managed as a put-and-take fishery coupled with frequent winter-kill has always encouraged me to seek big trout elsewhere. This springs revelation that trout have overwintered along with a good average size have peeked my interest in its potential as a candidate for lake aeration and quality regulations. The more time I spend on it the more it reminds me of big fish "haunts" elsewhere.


A healthy trout that will probably be lost to winter-kill without lake aeration.


     I have already been in communication with the local area biologist, the local Fish and Game Assoc. and a few other like minded anglers who I am hoping will get behind the idea. As far as I am concerned the proof of the lakes potential are evident in the quality of the fish that it is producing despite heavy angler use and in my mind, a crap creel limit that reflects a dated mindset.

     Hopefully the general angling populous of this area will feel the same. Like anything entailing change there is usually resistance and opposition from people set in their ways, and I can sympathize with that if only to a limited degree. I strongly feel that if angling opportunities in this province are to be maintained and or enhanced than the notion that a management plan on a lake or stream to reduce government costs and promote conservation has to become accepted....by everyone.


Justin getting the hang of indicator fishing.
      Still, I can accept this past weekend for what it was. Simply put, some fine trout fishing and laughs with a friend getting into the sport.

      Small micro leeches with some chironomids splashed in the mix produced well anywhere from 7 to 18 feet of water. I even lost a "mystery" fish at one point that definitely peeked my interest as it never showed itself and left me guessing at how big it may have been. The last time I checked we had estimated its weight around 9 lb's based on the "feel" (give or take a couple of pounds).
A good trout on any water-body.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Great write up! Those are some beauty fish. I might be out there in October and I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete