Tuesday 2 April 2013

Chironomid Insanity

 

 Insanity- Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

                                                                                                                                        - Albert Einstein






      I can't help but chuckle to myself as I recall a conversation I had not too long ago with a fellow fly-fisher. We were talking chironomid patterns and which ones a guy should have, sizes, white bead antron gills etc. In the end Nick made the point that really all you need are a couple standard patterns in a few sizes and you'll catch fish in pretty much any stillwater in Western Canada. I couldn't have agreed more with him.

 So what have I spent the last couple of weeks doing? Tying as many chironomids as possible to try and squeeze into an already overstuffed fly box. I honestly spend more time rifling through my boxes trying to determine what colours I don't have and in what sizes I need them.



    Ultimately I know come the fishing season I will probably still reach for either a black with red rib or a gunmetal with a maroon rib and probably end up catching a fish or two. But then you never know...







No comments:

Post a Comment