Wednesday 17 April 2013

Dragon fly Nymphs

"I kill where I wish and none dare resist. I laid low the warriors of old and their like is not in the world today."

                                                                                                             - Smaug




      I have a fondness for fishing dragonfly nymphs simply because on average, they catch big fish. I do not, however, have a great desire to tie them. I have wasted a lot of time and tying material trying to come up with a pattern that I fealt represented the large Aeshnidae (Darners) and smaller Libellulidae in looks and animation but also fished worth a damn in places where dragonfly nymphs live (the bottom of stillwaters). This poses a problem in that for the flies to have any consistent success whatsoever you must fish in and around debris strewn bottoms and macrophytic growth (weeds).



     I have been a believer in floating patterns ever since I read "The Gilly" and learned of Alf Davey's Bottom Walker. The concept was not entirely new (Gary Lafontaine used deer hair poppers on fast sinking lines for Bass) but it was entirely new to me on how one could approach lake fishing for trout. I have found fishing a floating nymph on sinking lines the best way to imitate the dragon nymphs and so I have been persuing the "ultimate" dragon nymph for some time now.





     Have I finally cracked it? Hell no!!!! But I do have a pattern that floats all day, looks and breaths with life like the real thing and gets crushed when trout are on to them. Fine by me.




     This isn't to say that their aren't a lot of great patterns already out there. Dunc's floating Carey is a great pattern as it can imitate a multitude of insect species. The Gomphus is a classic (if you have never read Jack Shaw's "Fly Fish the Trout Lakes" you should) and Phil rowley's Draggin is a great imitator of the large Darners and fishes well. It is just that I have always observed dragon patterns as something rarely persued by creative minds and for the most part many patterns really don't do the bug justice. That and I just wanted to come up with a pattern I could call my own. It is an amalgamation of various aspects of other patterns that I like and I feel it makes it entirely its own....maybe!




       This current batch is for a bloke by the name of John Kent who, if he wasn't so busy tying flies for everyone else, would probably be better able to do them justice.


 
 
     If anyone is interested in details on the patterns let me know. I can post recipies...


     

27 comments:

  1. I have read on dragon fly Nymphs blogon this website.this is very useful information for me.i was searching this type information.thanks for sharing.

    fly fishing vacation in british columbia

    ReplyDelete
  2. your idea is really nice and i am catch this idea i think fishing is essay with you.
    fly fishing vacation in british columbia canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be interested in seeing the recipies for you patterens. I dont have any dragonfly nymphs in my box yet would to get some tied before the ice is gone
    thanks alot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a new concept to me. I have not been able to fish the weed beds without losing all of my patterns on an outing. I only get a fish once in a while for all of these lost flies. I would very much be interested in your patterns. Please post or email them to me.

    Signed: Desperate
    Eugene Mills
    beckngene@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff, Thanks for the great information and pictures. I slow troll and still fish from my pontoon throughout the state of Oregon. I would very much like to have your recipe for the Dragonfly Nymph. Please send by e-mail.
    Lloyd Thurman
    Roseburg, Oregon
    lthurm98@hughes.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jeff looks like the patterns I have been searching for I would like the recipes jcw12758@aol.com

      Delete
  6. Jeff, you've done a great job on the flies. I'd love the details on your patterns shown. Thank you!
    (john.fraser@worksafebc.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great fly for the carp here in Nebraska. Please send me the pattern directions if you can. I am also thinking that plastic bead chain might be a nice substitute for your eyes. Many thanks.

    Eric Smith
    eric.c.smith@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! I'll take a dozen please :D
    Jeff could you please email me at bcflyguys@hotmail.com
    Cheers
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please email the recipe. Look very nice!
    ajharpe@gmail.com
    Thanks
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please send/post the recipe! Thanks in advance!
    My email is eyesjason@gmail.com

    Regards,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there,

    If you wouldn't mind sending me the recipe to lank1234@hotmail.com it would be greatly appreciated! Im constantly losing my dragon patterns so id love to try something new.

    Cheers,

    Landon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent piece of information. I've been fishing a few small dams near Mexico City for a few years with despair luck. In the last two years it was very difficult to have a strike on one of my flies in places where the fishing used to be much better. And I think that changing some bad habits and adding some new flies and patterns can make a whole difference. Can you, please, send to me more information about recipes or SAS to my email: patricio.carey@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome looking dragonflys. Would love the recipe and or be able to purchase some. Thanks bnharvey2@gmail.com

      Delete
  14. I too am very interested in the recipe and perhaps purchasing some as well...excellent website btw my first time here. Thanks eklap777@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would be interested in a dozen if your selling them.contact me at tomcat@gpnet.ca

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please share recipe with me. Slojes@gmail.com thanks, John

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jeff, those are fantastic Dragonfly nymphs and extremely well tied! Here in Maine those are great flies on our Brook trout ponds and I'm always adding to the arsenal, those will definitely be in my box for next year. I can basically figure out your dressing but having your actual one would be great to eliminate any gray areas. If you could please send me your official dressing to deryn323@yahoo.com. Thanks!
    -Deryn LaCombe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Please email the recipe. Look very nice!
    nimitz_c@icloud.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jeff, Awesome pattern. I fished the standard ones. Would love to take a crach at tying one of yours. Pleas email me the recipe. Many thanks!
    akoons1060@aol.com

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jeff, This dragonfly pattern looks awesome! Any chance you could email
    me some tying instructions. Thanks, Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff, This dragonfly pattern looks awesome! Any chance you could email
      me some tying instructions to sealeygary504@gmail.com
      thanks, Gary

      Delete
  21. Could you sent me the recipe for the Dragon nymph? I like the idea of fishing a floating fly on a sinking line.
    William
    Spock8491@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Estoy interesado en aprender a hacer este tipo de moscas, si me puedes compartir atarlas te lo agradezco saludos sergio

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello there, great pattern. I'm writing a pattern book and would like to hear from you about getting one of these for inclusion in it, thanks!
    -Deryn LaCombe

    ReplyDelete